The Bibliophile Sweater Tag!



Tag started by Mary. This is her image.

I saw this on Christine's blog, and decided to do it, because it looked fun! ...even though I wasn't officially tagged (but I feel like half of tag posts are people who haven't been formally tagged. So...).



I wanted to do this because I love sweaters. Since I live in a very rainy part of the world, sweaters are a must 9+ months of the year :)


The tag was originally in October, which is most fitting, but it's still prime sweater weather here, people pull out their brightest coloured sweaters to drive the January/February blues away.

(And also even for those 3 months in the summer when it's warm enough to not need sweaters, people still take them everywhere. Just in case. Old habits die hard)



Fuzzy sweater (a book that is the epitome of comfort)



Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (or anything by her, to be honest).

I can devour it in a day, and it's just such a cozy read.

It features a character who is actually a fire spirit, so it demands to be read near a cozy wood fire with a fuzzy sweater + tea.


Striped sweater (book which you devoured every line of)


Crooked House by Agatha Christie.

This is from her personal favourites list, and oh boy. Now I know why.

I can't say much (because of spoilers!) but the atmosphere of impending doom is fantastic.

Someone in a large, crazy extended family is murdered, and it's up to Sophia's charming fiance to solve it, and solve it he must, because how can he marry into the family (and how can Sophia let him?) when no one knows who did it?

Romance, creepy foreboding vibes, and murder. What's not to love?



Ugly Christmas sweater (book with a weird cover)


This copy of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Look at it.

This is one of my pet peeves: publishers that just stick a random classic painting on as the front cover of a classic novel.

Seriously, look at it. I have so many questions about the design decisions behind this.


The only thing I could find connecting the painting to the story (yes I googled it) is that the painting is called "The Dinner Hour, Wigan" by Eyre Crowe, and is apparently a staple of the Industrial Revolution art phase, so maybe they forgot to hire a cover artist, googled 'Industrial Paintings For Book Covers' and called it a day?

The full painting isn't so bad, and might even make an okay cover, but why did they only use a small    fraction of it and slap it on so haphazardly

It looks like a school textbook version of it, but maybe that's the point?

The world may never know...

(The only redeeming aspect of this edition is how sturdy it is. I was going to wait until this copy fell apart to buy a prettier one, because I was expecting it to have the standard poor paperback quality we've all come to know and love, but this book has been on several trips, loaned out, dropped, left in a backpack, and folded open, and yet refuses to let hold of its' pages. So if anyone is in the market for a sturdy yet ugly used book, let me know)



Cashmere sweater (most expensive book you've bought)


That would probably be my copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets illustrated by Jim Kay.

I have a couple of the others, but this is the only one I've bought for myself. And it was worth every penny.


Hoodie (favorite classic book)


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

That's probably the most cliche answer, but I just love me some P&P.

It's just so well-written and put together <3 

I don't know if it's my favourite Jane Austen book, but in terms of characterization + plot +execution I do think it's the most solid out of all her other works.

Also every fall when the weather turns cold I pull on my favourite fuzzy sweater and sit in front of a fire with this book, so it fits this category nicely, I think.

Also this is the copy that I grew up with, and the peacock embroidery is a 90s classic.



Cardigan (book that you bought on impulse)


Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay.

I bought this on a whim, mostly because it was pretty.


I was sick a couple weekends ago, but by Saturday I was bored and had cabin fever, so I summoned what little energy I could, and went to my local used bookstore, and picked out a couple books.

This wasn't earthshatteringly great, but nor was it appalingly horrible. It was something short and easy to read while sick in bed, drinking all the immune-boosting tea.

The plot is apparently a modern retelling of Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster, but since I've never read that, I can't tell you how faithful a retelling it was.

I gave it three stars though, and I liked it at least enough so that I don't feel ashamed keeping it on my shelf.



Turtleneck sweater (book from your childhood)


The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien.

This is probably a bit of a cliche choice, but I scanned my shelf, and this is what jumped out to me. Plus, I've done a few bookshelf purges since I was a child (that and I used to only read library books), so for this to have made it speaks volumes.

That and I grew up to be Bilbo Baggins, so there's that.



Homemade knitted sweater (book that is Indie-published)


For this one I'm going to have to go with Paper Crowns, by Mirriam Neal.


I've recommended this to a couple of friends with widly ranging tastes, and they both liked it.

It's only about 192 pages long, but that's okay. It's a sweet, fairy tale story about a redheaded girl who does origami, and her sarcastic blue cat.

It fits this category perfectly, in my mind.


V-neck sweater (book that did not meet your expectations)

YOU KNOW FULL WELL WHY YOU'RE HERE DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK

The Hero and the Crown by Robin Mckinley.


Most people on Goodreads rated it 3ish stars, averaging out 4-5 for the beginning, and then 1-2 or the ending, which is what I ended up doing.

And anyone who has read this will know EXACTLY why.

The beginning was fantastic: a clumsy princess who all of the other court royals dislike intensely, so she gets herself into even MORE trouble than her clumsy self normally would.

And then the end came out of left field (not much foreshadowing, and no. Saying: 'here's something eerie and vague that totally is foreshadowing!' DOES NOT COUNT), and then a case of inst-love :(

Definitely worth it for the beginning, though.



Argyle sweater (book with a unique format)


I've already talked about them in my Best of 2017: Artsy, but the Griffin and Sabine Books by Nick Bantock!

A story told as letters between characters, and not only told as letters, but where you actually get to open envelopes and see their handwriting is cool.

So that's my submission for the unique format.

Polka dot sweater (a book with well-rounded characters)


To Wed An Heiress by Roseanne E. Lortz.

All of the characters are fleshed out and have clearly defined motivations, and also the way their different motivations cause them to interact together was very well done.

And it's a character driven plot, so that's also nice (especially since it's a murder mystery book, so it all kind of hinges on... you know... who did the murder? And why? So there's that.)

Also this is the introduction to Pevensie, the ginger haired detective whom I love. He has a sketch book and a whole host of questions for the inhabitants of this house...



And that's it! And if you see this and want to do it, consider yourself tagged! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Treasury Of Irish Fairy and Folk Tales Review

2017 Wrap Up: Non-fiction & Series

Welcome, autumn